Saturday, September 17, 2011

History Lesson


The bi-centennial of the War of 1812 is coming up next year which raises the question, what exactly was that all about. So we went to our local library and checked out a DVD documentary about that period in history. I learned it was a war between the U.S. and Canada and England over boundaries. One of the good things that came out of it was that the three countries decided never to go to war against each other again. And we have been allies ever since. I took the picture of Martin in a beautiful grove of trees along the Thames River where we stopped to look at a monument for Tecumseh, an Indian that figured prominently on the Canadian side. We decided to drive further that day and happened upon a battle reenactment of the battle where Tecumseh was killed. I couldn't resist getting my pic with one of the soldiers. There were dozens of men, women, and children in period costumes doing what they did back two hundred years ago: spinning wool, cooking over open fires in big iron pots, etc. I bought some prairie style bonnets for my granddaughters who are very into Little House on the Prairie.